I’ve never tried to make it from scratch, but the boys and I wanted to do something together in the kitchen last night. We looked around online for some inspiration and really created our own version, below. A huge hit with the kids, this is such a simple and easy meal to make for the family, with ingredients you likely already have in the fridge!
1 package macaroni (I used Barilla)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 cups low fat milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3 cups of any type of shredded cheese (I used what I had in the fridge; mozzarella, marble and old cheddar)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.
2. In a large pot of salted water, half-cook the macaroni noodles.
3. Whisk the egg and milk together then add melted butter or margarine. Stir well.
4. Add 2 1/2 cups of cheese (saving the remaining 1/2 cup) and breadcrumbs to the bowl. Mix well.
5. Place the lightly cooked macaroni in the prepared baking dish. Pour the egg, crumbs, milk and cheese liquid over the macaroni and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix again.
6. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
7. Bake uncovered, for about 30 or until the top is brown and crispy (if you like it softer, cover for half of the cooking time).
Tip: You can’t go wrong by mixing and matching up the cheeses. Find what you have in the fridge and don’t be afraid to mix a few together! You can add some kick with a tex mex blend of cheese or stick to just medium cheddar. It’s up to you!
*Article from our archives